Variable Rate Harvesting™
Precision agriculture isn’t the wave of the future. It’s happening right now, and variable rate technologies are a large part of new farming practices that are being adopted. That’s why CLAAS is advancing new precision technologies to help growers keep pace, even when it comes to harvesting.
CLAAS introduces Variable Rate Harvesting™ (VRH) for EASY (Efficient Agriculture Systems) technology in self-propelled combines and forage harvesters. VRH will help farmers embrace variability in their fields with zone management practices to maximize productivity in areas that have the greatest yield potential.
“There has been great technology developed to manage zones in planting, application and irrigation, but harvesting has not kept up,” says Brandon Olstad, Platform Manager for CLAAS of America. “We coined the phrase ‘Variable Rate Harvesting’ because our equipment has the technology to accommodate variations in the field. The concept is the same as other variable rate technologies that are changing operational practices of equipment, minimizing or controlling inputs and maximizing outputs.”
With the proper tools, Variable Rate Harvesting can maximize performance based on yield, moisture, crop conditions, crop volume and topography. It reduces labor, fuel and machine size costs, while improving throughput, grain retention and feed quality and harvesting speed.
VRH at work through LEXION combine technologies
- CEMOS AUTOMATIC autonomously and continuously changes settings of separation and cleaning based on information from multiple sensors that detect moisture and yield changes on the go.
- CRUISE PILOT automatically controls the ground speed function based on crop volume, engine load and losses.
- 4D CLEANING SYSTEM adjusts rotor cover positions to evenly distribute grain across the sieve in sloped portions of the field, preventing buildup and grain loss surges.
- AUTO CROP FLOW monitors key components to guard against slip, blockages and damage. It monitors peak load portions of the field and safeguards throughput accordingly.
- AUTO SLOPE independently senses the fore/aft angle of the machine to alter fan speeds and adjust sieve position to reduce grain loss.
- DYNAMIC COOLING adjusts the cooling fan speed identified by power consumption loads, ensuring proper engine cooling and reducing fuel costs.
VRH suite of technology options for JAGUAR forage harvesters
- AUTO FILL uses 3D image analysis to direct the unloading spout to fill the trailer evenly, accurately, and with minimal loss, even in high productivity areas.
- CRUISE PILOT controls ground speed, based on throughput and engine load. As crop density fluctuates, the system adjusts your speed to achieve maximum engine output.
- DYNAMIC POWER modifies horsepower output based on engine load, so in areas with lighter crops you can conserve power, while in areas with dense crops you can use as much power as necessary.
- AUTO CHOP LENGTH adjusts the chop length based on moisture content readings to ensure quality silage output and maintain feed value in wet or dry conditions.
- STOP ROCK protects your machinery by detecting foreign objects greater than a predefined size, stopping the intake immediately to prevent damage.
- DYNAMIC COOLING is the same equipment used with LEXION, adjusting the cooling fan speed according to power consumption loads.
“When the goal was uniform plant performance across the field, it was simple to get by with static settings, speeds and controls,” Olstad explains. “Now, as the goal shifts to zone specific performance, it’s necessary to have a machine that can harvest dynamically. That’s what all these systems allow our machines to accomplish effectively.”
Harvesters can also take advantage of CLAAS TELEMATICS Professional to track all machine data. It breaks down the data into easy-to-read graphs to show the true impact of Variable Rate Harvesting technologies on inputs and outputs.
There can be no doubt that precision ag and all the benefits it brings are here to stay. Now, CLAAS technology brings harvesting up to speed with Variable Rate Harvesting.
Variable Rate Harvesting™ is a trademark of CLAAS of America.